- Product Code: 72435-40378-2-5
- You will get bonus-scraps: 11
- Availability: In Stock
- Price in bonus-scraps: 109
The fourth full-length studio album by legendary American Alternative/Funk/Rap Rock band.
"Mother's Milk" was the first step for the band in achieving international success and turned the tide and transformed the band from Underground Funk-Rocking Rappers to mainstream bad boys with seemingly very little effort.
After the death of founding guitarist Hillel Slovak and the subsequent departure of drummer Jack Irons, vocalist Anthony Kiedis and bassist Flea regrouped with the addition of guitarist John Frusciante and drummer Chad Smith. Frusciante's influence altered the band's sound by placing more emphasis on melody than rhythm, which had dominated the band's previous material. Returning producer Michael Beinhorn favoured Heavy Metal guitar riffs as well as overdubbing. Frusciante perceived Beinhorn's taste as excessive, and as a result, the two constantly fought over the album's guitar sound.
"Mother's Milk" was a greater commercial success than the band's first three albums, peaking at number 52 on the US Billboard 200, and number 32 on the U.S. Cash Box album charts. The record failed to chart in the United Kingdom and Europe, but climbed to number 33 in Australia. The album was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America in late March 1990 (it is now certified Platinum) and was the first Red Hot Chili Peppers' album to ship in excess of 500 000 units. In 2005, Mother's Milk was ranked number 359 in Rock Hard magazine's book "The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time".
In 2003, the album was re-released through EMI; all tracks were completely remastered, and an additional six songs were included, as well as handwritten liner notes from Flea.
Capitol Records/EMI Records, 1989/2003 (72435-40378-2-5). Made in Germany.
1. Good Time Boys 5:01
2. Higher Ground (cover) 3:22
3. Subway To Venus 4:25
4. Magic Johnson 2:57
5. Nobody Weird Like Me 3:49
6. Knock Me Down 3:43
7. Taste The Pain 4:31
8. Stone Cold Bush 3:05
9. Fire (live; cover) 2:03
10. Pretty Little Ditty 3:07
11. Punk Rock Classic 1:46
12. Sexy Mexican Maid 3:22
13. Johnny, Kick A Hole In The Sky 5:20
14. Song That Made Us What We Are Today [demo; previously unreleased] 12:55
15. Knock Me Down (Original Long Version) [previously unreleased] 4:44
16. Sexy Mexican Maid (Original Long Version) [previously unreleased] 3:59
17. Salute To Kareem [demo; previously unreleased] 3:24
18. Castles Made Of Sand (live; cover) 3:19
19. Crosstown Traffic [live; previously unreleased] 2:51
Total playing time: 77:45 min.